Wednesday, May 27, 2009

(bridge)

I'm sitting here in the trailer and avoiding the excessive mess around me. It's time to clean this place out and look towards resale (I'll explain later), but we have settled in here quite thoroughly. My dear husband's system is to emtpy the drawers and cabinets...and then head to the next town to play tennis and help a friend move. Hmm. My system it to stare at it all, shift the piles to the next square foot, refold/repackage, stare, and head to my computer. Niether of these systems are really working for me. Hmph.
For all we've discarded in the past 1/2 year you would think it would be easier to deal with repacking. Unfortunately, it looks like I have yet to learn some key points in clutter-control. What do people do with those little scraps and bits; cards, travel mugs, magazines, containers...? One of my sisterIL's is so wonderfully organized and her house is so beautiful. I need to learn her system!

Anyways!

So, we're moving.

That got your attention didn't it?
I wish I had the energy and focus to write a beautiful summary of how it all came to be. For now, you'll have to be satisfied with a basic summary.
In one sentence: We've accepted a caretaker-type position on a sprawling mountain ranch where we can reside, roast coffee, create, pray, process the past months/years, receive an income, and just 'be'. It's about two hours from our current residence and situated on 850 acres. We'll be spending the first months in another motor home (but bigger! and likely cleaner!), and then we'll see from there. GreenValley coffee will continue to be 'based' in the current city and we'll continue to supply the sweet store hosting our beans as well as online customers and some markets here and there.
How did this come about? Conversations, connections, and much movement in the unseen.
What do we think about it? Yes please.
_________

When we began this journey I had no idea where it would lead. I thought I knew what some of the end-points would look like, but I didn't realize how incredibly difficult all those mid-points would be. I have aged, our marriage has been excessivly strained, our finances have become a punch line. But right now we're at one of those very rare plateaus upon which we can see the trail leading to this point and how all things have been working together, while at the same time seeing a glimpse of the hope ahead and that there really is an open road and not a pit.
I am ready to find quiet and rest. I am looking forward to being snowed in for a bit and finding my artist's expression. I want to see J working hard and enjoying it without destroying his body or spirit. I can't wait to see Jem ride a horse or catch a frog or hear the coyotes.

We've retained our AB habit of walking wherever we can. Just before this new position was confirmed we walked downtown and back. We saw the geese in the pond, passed the scantily-clad teens, the quiet street people, and the oblivious. We commented that, while the convenience and offerings of the city have been great, we're more than fine with the quiet and isolation of the ranch. For us, solitude paired with the opporunity to do what we enjoy and think about who we've become is a beautiful thing.

So then, we are celebrating and preparing to move on, again. For those who have offered criticism alone, we invite quietness. But for those who have supported, conversed, and considered, we invite you to step ahead with us and look back and forward. Let's soak in the Sun of this plateau. Let's breathe and rest. And let's keep moving on; down and up, always forward.

6 comments:

Lola said...

I'm so excited for you. What a fun adventure.

Jamie said...

HOLY CRAP THAT SOUNDS SO AWESOME!!

Okay, I need to finish reading the rest of your post now. Just wanted to share with you my initial response.

Jamie said...

Okay, finished now. I am really excited for you guys!!

And I love this: "Our finances have become a punch line."

Yay for a God who moves.

Missy said...

That is so great! Can't wait to hear more. I was planning to call you to talk about a visit but that might have to wait now:)

Anonymous said...

Wow! This oppertunity sounds just amazing. I cannot wait to hear more about this new stage in your lives... and cannot help to be a tad envious. :)

Krissy

Anonymous said...

i have a few tears in my eyes. so happy for you guys. for reals.
maybe our next girl reunion can be at YOUR RANCH!!! promise you won't charge us fifty bones for a wagon ride??? haha!!!
love eb