Thursday, October 29, 2009

This week I stepped away for a short visit with a friend a couple hours away from the ranch. As I drove, I listened to some recorded lectures, chatted with my baby, and gained confidence in my driving with the big new truck and the icy roads. During my visit I witnessed my sweet friend discipline her child, care for her home, and go about her daily routine. We chatted and shared bits on life and marriage and issues and new things, we walked and napped, we watched our kids play. On the drive home last night I became aware of an important responsibility in our lives, or at least in my life: It is good to step away. It is beneficial to step out of your 'zone' for enough time to witness points of contrast and possibility.
Though my visit was brief, I was challenged and encouraged to reconsider some approaches to parenting, to reflect on my marriage, and to think about myself for a moment. From the outside, I was able to recognize points of wrongdoing and areas in need of change; things that are often much more difficult to take stock of when you are in the midst of it.

So then. As mothers, business people, land-keepers, students, etc., how we can ensure these excursions? How may we encourage each other in these things; both to our friends and our spouses? Hmm. I think J' needs his own time out soon....

Anyways.
We awoke to a big dump of snow. Jem wasn't a huge fan of it (which I didn't help by flipping his sled and landing him on his face!!!). The horses are really frisky and even Shasta (our baby girl) tried kicking her heels at me! I went down to the lake to try to get some trout when Jem went down for his nap, but no luck yet :(  Now i'm entering 'afternoon chore mode' while J works at the cabin. Oh to be in our new home.... Oh to be patient.

Happy Thursday. May you find an ear to hear your heart today.

3 comments:

Marissa said...

it was lovely and encouraging to visit you and your little man!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dee, I love your blog. I love your poetic way you write and I am happy to know that you are ALWAYS willing to learn and change and grow. I think you are always talking about something that is causing you to think about things differently. What an encouraging writer you are. You remind me to find joy in growth and discomfort and to really be able to enjoy life in general. I love love love the last line. What a beautiful way to put it.
Ear to hear your heart.
love erin b

Dea' said...

Aw, thanks ladies, how encouraging :)
Erin, if I ever become an official 'writer' I think you'll be one of my most exhuberant and faithful cheerleaders-- like you already are! :)