Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I
Hey!
Thanks for the interaction on the purse post-- awesome! Some thoughts, in response to some of the comments--
Yes, I heartily agree!!! The whole point was that :) Whether it's a purse or an organic-handmade toy, the issue is that all-consuming desire, that wrongly directed lingering grasp. It had little to do with whether thigs are synthetic or natural or whatever, the point was the desire and the fact that we allow ourselves to get so enamoured with material goods. Seeing it aside from my own heart was helpful as I rarely have the opportunity to see how bizarre these attachments really are. We can say it's an issue in our lives, we can say we feel it, but to actually witness something so acutely outside of our own clouded internal vision can really bring it home and renew the desire to learn how to live open-handed and with little. The fact is, it was a bizarre and wrongly directed kind of fascination with material objects. It hit my square in the face and made me realize (for myself, in my own life, regarding my own issues and desires), "Crap! Danger! Watch out! Run away! Learn what is good and truly valuable!"
And, I am in no way saying I have achieved anything here. As confessed before, my own heart is fickle and longs after much. I'm finding that going back to basics (ie. cutting myself off in a sense, and re-starting, kind of) has being a helpful approach. If I were to live in the heart of New York or with unlimited funds, etc., I would still find it very difficult to life the kind of life I am hoping to find. I am responsible for my own actions, my own choices and responses. If I can learn from those around me, judge my own life without excuse, and set my heart towards what is Good, I can hold to hope for a life that is more than myself.
Does this make sense?

3 comments:

Kmarie said...

That does make sense. Like I said before- The beauty of the journey! Yours really does sound thoughtful! It is good to take a breather and to also be immersed in it and test our growth. You are learning amazing things and I am so honored to learn alongside such a thoughtful, and compassionate friend. I have learned from your journey and it has contributed to my growth as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts:)
Love ya.

sadie said...

great follow up! I find it way too easy to judge those who buy the coach purse, or designer jeans for being frivilous, and equally as easy justifying my NEED for my own material desires, just because it's for my kids, or supporting a legit small business etc. But the real issue is the same, the heart issue. My heart can be so wretched sometimes!

Dana said...

Dee, totally agree and I loved how you capitalized the 'G' in Good...finding the Good...you're so right, whatever is true, whatever is lovely, set your eyes to these things.
And, you totally make sense. My previous comment was more a slap in the face to me, a little self realization as well, not directed at you at all. I admire what you're doing, I don't feel called to the exact same thing, but there are times that I just HATE this consumerist life, and I HATE that I care what kind of house I live in etc etc....